Friday, November 6, 2009

A Green Van?

The other day Ben had all our vehicles lined up in a row checking the fluids in each. First in line was the green VW Beetle, beside it the gray Ford Escape and finally was the silver Chrysler Town & Country minivan. I called Ben back to see what I saw. Essentially, it was the evolution of our lives... on wheels. It tragically illustrated the slow course of death of my now long-gone youth.

I bought the Beetle from my sister January of 2005, a week after I found out I was pregnant. No stinking family car for me!!! Children would fit into my life, I would not succumb to the mini-van or big SUV most people run to when expecting. No, I have something to prove. My life is a kiwi-colored Beetle, and I intend to keep it that way.(!)

Hmm, yeah. Then I gave birth. (experienced mothers snicker now)

I maintained my green Beetle life though, sort of. Teetering between this new motherhood thing and who I was before motherhood. I could elaborate more but I barely remember that first year and a half because I was EXHAUSTED. Teetering is very hard work you know.

When I was very pregnant with my second child, it became apparent I needed to switch cars. No longer did my GINORMOUS midsection allow me to climb in the backseat to buckle my toddler. Begrudgingly, my husband and I switched cars. (Yet another side note, if you see a man driving a kiwi-green Beetle, don't assume he might be playing for the other team. He could have just been forced to give up his manhood so his wife's ginormous butt wouldn't get stuck in the backseat of her car at 8 months pregnant. THAT, my friends, is love.)

So I drove the Escape, which was fine. It had a little spunk in it, a little attitude. I didn't feel like it was really 'me', but I could see my life was changing, and the car had to change with it. It would do. Cause that's what you do when you have kids.... you make do... at least until you can get your life back. Right?

Fast forward to earlier this year. My parents offered to sell me their minivan. It was nice, sure. It had been well-taken care of and was 'top of the line' when my sister purchased it new 10 years ago. BUT IT WAS A SILVER FREAKING MINI-VAN! The same van that seems to have cloned itself in every Target parking lot, rows upon rows of SILVER VANS! NO, NO, NO! This was NOT supposed to be me! I am a GREEN BEETLE! BUT.... But.... now I have 2 kids. And we are planning on getting pregnant sometime this year. And Hazelle is starting preschool in the fall and we'll need to have an extra carseat for carpooling. CARPOOLING? When did this start?! What happened?

Well... I became a mom. A hard-core, stay-at-home, three plus-carseat wielding mom with a tad bit of resentment, I mean road rage. (Big sigh).

Ok, I'm here. And believe it or not actually pretty happy. I still get to drive the Beetle every once in awhile and relive my kiwi-green days when I was working, traveling and could play music with cuss words as loud as I wanted. I'm hoping that one day I can be kiwi-green again, or a least some shade of green. Maybe I should put a request in to VW they make a special edition of the Routan, their family van (I have been salivating over it since it's release). Instead of the typical white, silver, navy blue and black (that apparently all 30-something moms are clamoring over)... maybe they could make a special 'reliving youth edition', it would be perfect in a nice shade of green*.


*Hunter green excluded please.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. I am relating all too closely with this post as I peer a glaring eye out the front door to a charcoal gray Camry. Yes, I said Camry. Smokes! Where did that 'typical american family car' come from and how did it end up in our driveway? Well, =) it was an amazing deal too good to pass up, a reliable car within our budget and we new it was safe and reliable for toting around a new sprout. AND the extra room wouldn't hurt either. Hmmm . . . I agree . . . green is my favorite color. Shucks.

    ReplyDelete